The word tantra (Sanskrit : Tissue, continuum, context; liberation by desire (Tanha) ) is a common term in Shivaism and Vajrayana.
The actually secret tantra system came into a twilight, especially through the Yab-Yum representations and the Vama and Kaula-Acharas.
Most of the western so-called tantric groups offer therefore a confusing mix of erotic practices and pseudo-spirituality.
The tantric traditions are in the Shaiva Siddhanta and the Mantrapīṭha (Bhairava-oriented) as well as in the shaktistic Vidyāpīṭha and the Kulamārga traditions. Sri Vidya is a tantric shakta tradition with Lalitā Tripurasundarī ("Beautiful Goddess of the Three Cities"), a tantric version of Lakshmi.
Sometimes is also distinguished between right (white) tantra, yellow tantra (wealth), red tantra (sexual practices) and black tantra (destructive negative forces and alternatively abuse of occult forces, black masters).
In Shivaism includes Tantrism the esoteric secrets (rahasya-sampradayā).
The shivaistic tantric scriptures are usually arranged in the form of a dialogue between a form of Shiva and a consort as Parvati.
In the Agamas, Shiva is the listener and Parvati the teacher.
The shivaist Hindu-Tantra classes contain 92 scriptures.
- the 64 Bhairava - Tantras or kashmir-shivaist Tantras are purely monistic (Abheda: without distinction) and are divided into 8 groups.
- The 18 Rudra - Tantras are Bhedābheda ('with distinction and without distinction') or 'monistic and dualistic'.
- The remaining 10 Śiva tantras are Bheda ('differentiated') or dualistic.
The Rudra Tantras and the Śiva Tantras are used by the Śaiva Siddhāntins and are therefore known as Shaiva Siddhanta Tantras or Śaiva Siddhānta Āgamas. But the Kulanarva Tantra from Kashmiri Shivaism is a tantric and often misinterpreted, secret doctrine.
The tantric main gods in the Hinduism have a female counterpart(Shakti).
Therefore, there is also a tantric sadhana(Achara):
- Vedacara(Vedic commandments, vedic Mantras, Agni as Ishta-Deva)
- Vaishnavacara (Vishnu - Tantra, Vishnu is the Ishta-Deva)
- Shaivacara (Shiva-Tantra, Shiva is the Ishta-Deva)
- Shaktacara : Dakshinacara (right way, religious commandments)
- Vamacara (Left path, breaks religious taboos and consciously reverses everything) (pañca-makăra) : Fish, flesh, madya, dried grains, Maithuna (ritualisized sex-act of the so-called Viryas) - but the Panchamakaras are actually more symbolic to understand
The relevant Ācāras are classified accordingly : Veda, Vaiṣṇava, Śaiva, Dakṣiṇa, Vāma, Siddhāṇta and Kaula.
They are additionally divided up in the two categories Dakṇiṇa (right) and Vāma(left). The tantric Brahma Yamala distinguishes dakshina, madhyama and vama according to the three gunas.
- Yoga - (breath-exercises, Asanas) with will - control
- Mantras or Syllables, words and phrases
- Nyasa - Visualisation of meditation-godesses
- Mandala - Visualisation
The scriptures are deliberately formulated in a secret language or twilight language (Sandhabhasa), so that the uninitiated understands little or misunderstands as intended.
The expression is first mentioned in the Guhyasamāja : 'Tantra is called continuity, and the tantra is divided into three aspects: ground together with its nature and indispensability. Nature is the fundamental cause, the soil is the method, and the result is indispensable. The meaning of tantra is contained in these three.'
The teachings of tantra have here an external, an inner and a secret meaning. The qualities which are overcome by a particular divinity often appear symbolically as Yidam-attributes of this deity. (Srī-guhyasarvacchinda-tantrarāja)
The tantric yoga techniques of Mahayoga, Anuyoga and of Atiyoga(Dzogchen) build on each other.
- The Sanskrit Tradition and Tantrism, Teun Goudriaan , Brill Academic Pub, 1997, ISBN-10: 9004092455 ISBN-13: 978-9004092457
- Shakti und Shakta - A. Avalon PDF
- Woodroffe : Introduction To Tantra Sastra
- Woodroffe : Principles of Tantra bzw. (2.)
- Avalon :Tantric Texts
- Tantrik Texts, Arthur Avalon, Cosmo Publications, 2004, ISBN-10: 8177557254 ISBN-13: 978-8177557251
- Tantrabhidhanam with Bijanighantu & Mudranighantu – A Tantric Dictionary
- Hindu Tantric and Śākta Literature, Teun Goudriaan, Sanjukta Gupta, Harrassowitz, 1981, Englisch, ISBN-10: 3447020911, ISBN-13: 978-3447020916
- Tantric Hieroglyphics I - Tantric Hieroglyphics and their original home-India.
- 27 Hindu - Tantras
- A Companion to Tantra, S.C. Banerji, Abhinav Publications, 2002, ISBN-10: 8170174023 ISBN-13: 978-8170174028
- New Light on Tantra Accounts of Some Tantras, both Hindu and Buddhist, Alchemy in Tantra, Tantric Therapy, List of Unpublished Tantras, etc. by Sures Chandra Banerji, Publisher: Punthi Pustak 1992 ,ISBN-10: 18509456X ISBN-13: 9788185094564
- Tantric hyroglyphs
- Tantric Hieroglyphics
- Transformations and Transfer of Tantra in Asia and Beyond, István Keul
- Tantra in Practice, David Gordon White, Motilal Banarsidass, 2001, ISBN-10: 8120817788 ISBN-13: 978-8120817784
- The Tantra-samuccaya of Nārāyaṇa: with the commentaries Vimarśinī of Śaṅkara and Vivaraṇa of Nārāyaṇaśiṣya, Band 3, Trivandrum Sanskrit series, Nārāyaṇa, Verlag University of Travancore ISBN 8183152228, 9788183152228
- Studies on the Tantras
- Ritual and Speculation in Early Tantrism: Studies in Honor of Andre Padoux, Teun Goudriaan, State University of New York Press, 1992, ISBN-10: 0791408981 ISBN-13: 978-0791408988
- Tantrische Texte zum Herunterladen
- Tantric scriptures
- Tantra and Pancaratra
- What 3 - What are the Tantras and their Significance, Shakti and Shâkta, A. Avalon
- Astrojyoti : Tantric scriptures
- Genesis and development of Tantra
- Tantric Body: The Secret Tradition of Hindu Religion, Gavin Flood
- Making sense of Tantra
Vajrayana - Tantric literature
- The Canonical Tantras of the New Schools
- Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire, Lama Yeshe, 2014, ISBN: 9781614291558
- Mahamudra Tantra: The Supreme Heart Jewel Nectar, Tharpa Publications (2005) ISBN 978-0-948006-93-7
- Introduction to the Buddhist Tantric Systems, Band 20, Ferdinand Lessing - Alex Wayman, Motilal Banarsidass, 1993, ISBN-10: 8120808347 ISBN-13: 978-8120808348
- Tantra in Tibet: The Great Exposition of Secret Mantra, Jeffrey Hopkins, Motilal Banarsidass, 2008, ISBN-10: 8120803760 ISBN-13: 978-8120803763
- Einoo, Shingo (ed.) (2009). Genesis and Development of Tantrism. University of Tokyo. S. 45.
- Buddhist tantra, Geshe Tenzin Zopa
- Berzin : The meaning of tantra
- Principles of Buddhist Tantra , Kirti Tsenshap, Ian Coghlan, Voula Zarpani, Wisdom Publications, 2011, ISBN-10: 0861712978 ISBN-13: 978-0861712977
- Gudrun Buhnemann - Buddhist deities and Mantras in the hindu tantras: The Tantrasarasamgraha and the Isanasivagurudevapaddhati
- Tantric Ethics: An Explanation of 66, the Precepts for Buddhist Vajrayana Practice, Je Tsongkhapa, 2016, Wisdom Publications, ISBN 9780861717804
- Great Bliss: Tantric Sex and the Path to Inner Awakening
- Tibetan Ritual, Jose Ignacio Cabezon, Oxford Univ Press, 2009, ISBN-10: 0195392825 ISBN-13: 978-0195392821
- Introduction into buddhist Tantra
- Principles of buddhist Tantrism : Angarika Govinda
- Overview of Buddhist Tantra: General Presentation of the Classes of Tantra, Captivating the Minds of the Fortunate Ones, Bsod-nams-grags-pa (Pan-chen), Martin J. Boord, L. N. Tsonawa, übersetzt von Martin J. Boord, L. N. Tsonawa, Verlag Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, 1996, ISBN 8185102996, 9788185102993
- On the very idea of the tantric canon
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Hindu_tantra Hindu Tantra
- Sanderson, Alexis. The Śaiva Literature, Journal of Indological Studies (Kyoto), Nos. 24 & 25 (2012–2013), 2014, S. 4-5, 11, 35, 57.
- Saundarya Lahari of Sri Sankaracarya: Inundation of Divine Splendour, Swami Tapasyananda, S.66
- The Devī Gītā: The Song of the Goddess; C. MacKenzie Brown S. 288
- http://wiki.yoga-vidya.de/Shaktacara Shaktacara
- Bhattacharya, N. N. History of the Tantric Religion. Second Revised Edition. Manohar Publications, Delhi, 1999. ISBN 81-7304-025-7 S: 368ff
- Wiki zum Tantra
- Introduction to Tantra
- Evolution of Tantra
- Tntroduction to Tantra
- Tantra unveiled
- The Tantras - an overview PDF
- Ajita Mahatantra
- An Introduction to Tantra Shastra
- Tantric language
- Tantric practices
- Theory of creation in Tantrism
- Yogainternational : Kaula, Samaya and Mishra Tantra
- Atrojyoti : Tantra
- List of tantric Texts
- Oiktv : Tantric practices
- Rigpawiki :Web of Magical Illusion Tantras
- Buddha’s association with Tantra
- buddha dharma tantra
- Berzin : Source of the Tantras
- Tantra - Dagyab Kyabgön Rinpoche
- Vajrayana Tantra Techniques